Mar 21, 2012

A brain full of yoga

Hi there! I wanted to write a post about yoga since it is such an essential part of my life and I haven't mentioned it in a while! Some people have misconceptions about yoga, others completely understand it but do not care for it, and then there are the people who live for it, like myself. 
Lately I've started exclusively practicing 'hot yoga' - mostly because it is a very fast paced class and I love to sweat and release toxins from my body. However, I do not go to yoga solely for the physical aspects. The role yoga plays in our brain is actually quite amazing. Focusing on a connection between mind and body - which is the core of all yoga classes - channels stress-relief, mood-boosting, and relaxation-inducing properties. According to a 2010 study by researchers at the Boston University School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry, yoga has been proven to increase the amount of γ-Aminobutyric acid, also known as GABA, in your brain. GABA is directly correlated with lowered levels of depression and anxiety, and an elevated mood level. Yoga has also been proved to lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol in your body, making it the perfect after work workout! I usually go around six at night, even when I am completely drained from work. Why? Because once I reach shavasana (the end of the class intended to rejuvenate and relax the body) I feel amazing and never regret going. 
 For those of you who practice yoga, keep it up!! For the rest, try it out, it can't hurt!

P.S. meditating has the same beneficial mind effects as yoga, plus more

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...